Dr Subrata K Chakrabarti from Offshore Structure Analysis Inc, US visited WIT to present a short course entitled ‘Dynamics of Floating Structures and Model Testing’
Over a period of three days lectures were presented on theoretical topics such as:
- Wave Theories
- Wave Energy Spectrum and Studies
- Wave Forces on Structures
- Model Testing
- Floating Body Dynamics
- Nonlinear Floating Body Dynamics
The course had two main objectives:
- To provide a basic understanding of wave hydrodynamics and wave structure interaction with particular emphasis to floating structure dynamics.
- To gain experience with design analysis, computation, software, model testing and interpretation of results.
A discussion was made with relevant design calculations and use of wave tank data. Applicability in design and limitation of the formulas were discussed and demonstrated with the help of design charts.
Dr Chakrabarti is the president of Offshore Structure Analysis Inc and the past Director of Marine Research Division of Chicago Bridge & Iron Company. He has over 30 years’ experience in offshore structure design and analysis, and was involved in the development of many offshore production structures. He has published over 150 technical papers and has written four textbooks.