Sustainable City 2022
16th International Conference on Urban Regeneration and Sustainability
10–12 October 2022
With the main objective to preserve our delegates’ wellbeing, but also with the belief that the international contacts among the scientific community should not be stopped, WIT decided that this conference should not take place as scheduled in Rome, Italy) , but take place as an online event instead.
The conference was organised by the Wessex Institute, UK, represented by Prof Santiago Hernandez and the Polytechnic University of Valencia, represented by Prof Jose Luis Miralles i Garcia.
This conference series started in Rio in 2000 to address all aspects of the urban environment and aimed to provide solutions leading towards sustainability. The meeting attracted a substantial number of contributions from participants from different backgrounds and countries.
Opening of the Conference
The conference was opened by Prof Santiago Hernandez, Wessex Institute Board of Directors, who welcomed the delegates to the event on behalf of all Chairs.
There were a series of invited lectures on advanced topics of research and applications, as follows:
- Buildings sustainability assessment based on materials used – case studies in Lisbon, Portugal
by J Tavares Ribeiro & A Barreto
- Urban agriculture and food sovereignty in Latin America – examples of nutritious diets
by I M Madaleno
- Analysis of urban systems in terms of metabolism flows and footprint impact
by B D Fath, S Wang & N Strelkovskii
- Urban morphology and industrial heritage persistence
by A Acosta Collazo
- The future of dwelling: indoor plants and produce
by C Cerro
The papers presented during the conference were classified under the following headings:
- Architectural issues
- Environmental management
- Planning for risk, climate change and natural hazards
- Community and the city
- Urban transportation and planning
- Energy conversion and generation
- Urban agriculture and food sovereignty
- City/waterfront interaction
- The S3 city: smart, sustainable and safe
- Waste management
- Cultural heritage sites
- Urban and rural areas
Q&A Live Zoom Sessions
Conference delegates were invited to participate in three Q&A live zoom sessions which took place on 10th, 11th and 12 October 2022. These friendly sessions were a great opportunity for participants to interact with each other and put questions to authors about their papers.
Papers presented at this conference are published in Volume 260 of the WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment ((Electronic 1743-3541). Papers presented at the meeting are available Open Access in the eLibrary of the Wessex Institute (https://www.witpress.com/elibrary) from where they can be freely downloaded by any interested parties.
Closing of the Conference
We are very sorry that we were not able to meet our delegates in person this time, but hope that we will be able to do so at a future event.